Skip to content
August 20, 2026
Education News

Education News

Kenya’s leading newspaper on education, widely read by teachers, students, lecturers, parents, and key education stakeholders nationwide.

  • Home
  • Top News
  • Tragic as 10 die in Nairobi floods, rescue operations underway

Katine TTI

  • Education News
  • National News
  • Top News
  • Trending News

Tragic as 10 die in Nairobi floods, rescue operations underway

March 7, 2026March 7, 20265 mins
Cars submerged in flood water in Nairobi, Friday, March 6, 2026. Photo Courtesy
Cars submerged in flood water in Nairobi, Friday, March 6, 2026. Photo Courtesy

Ten people have been confirmed dead in Nairobi after devastating floods swept through large parts of the city on Friday following heavy rainfall that left roads submerged and neighbourhoods underwater.

Nairobi Police Commander George Seda said eight of the victims were swept away by fast-rising floodwaters, as two died while inside vehicles that were carried away by powerful currents along flooded roads.

Seda also confirmed that two other victims died in separate electrocution incidents during the floods in different parts of the county.

Authorities warned that the number of fatalities could rise as search and rescue operations continue in several severely affected areas.

According to the county police boss, at least 71 vehicles were trapped across the city after floodwaters rendered major roads impassable. Emergency teams worked through the night to assist motorists and residents caught in dangerous conditions.

“Residents across Nairobi woke up on Saturday morning to flooded neighbourhoods, stranded motorists and widespread disruption after the heavy downpour left many areas submerged.” Seda noted

Ahmed Idris, Secretary General of the Kenya Red Cross Society, said several residential estates and informal settlements were heavily affected as floodwaters surged through low-lying areas and along river corridors.

ALSO READ:

TSC announces virtual meeting for school leaders with Head of Public Service

Among the hardest-hit areas were Pipeline and Embakasi, where sections of Kware Road were completely cut off by rising waters.

Other affected neighbourhoods included Mukuru Kwa Njenga, Reuben, Viwandani, Kibra, Mathare, Huruma, Baba Dogo and Bosnia.

Flooding was also reported in South B, South C, Nairobi West and Lang’ata, as well as Umoja 3, Chokaa, Njiru, Ruai and Utawala.

In northern and western parts of the city, Roysambu along Kamiti Road, Kahawa West, Githurai, Loresho and sections of Westlands also experienced rising water levels.

Major highways and urban roads faced heavy disruption, with some rendered impassable throughout the night.

The Kenya Red Cross Society reported that traffic snarl-ups stretched into the early hours of Saturday morning as motorists struggled to navigate flooded sections.

The most affected transport corridors included roads within the central business district and surrounding routes such as Museum Hill, Uhuru Park and Uhuru Highway, as well as Mbagathi Way.

Floodwaters also disrupted traffic along Mombasa Road near South C, Bellevue, the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport exit and Kyumbi junction.

Emergency response teams, including the military, were deployed overnight to rescue stranded residents and restore movement in affected areas.

The Kenya Red Cross Society confirmed that its first responders rescued at least 20 people who had been stranded along Kirinyaga Road after floodwaters overwhelmed sections of the area.

Rescue operations continue as authorities monitor the situation and assist affected communities.

By Our reporter

You can also follow our social media pages on Twitter: Education News KE  and Facebook: Education News Newspaper for timely updates.

>>> Click here to stay up-to-date with trending regional stories

 >>> Click here to read more informed opinions on the country’s education landscape

>>> Click here to stay ahead with the latest national news.

Sharing is Caring!
Tagged: Kenya Red Cross Society Nairobi floods Nairobi Police Commander George Seda

Post navigation

Previous: Planning for exit: A teachers’ professional guide to dignified retirement, seamless clearance
Next: Achani launches distribution of Ksh 400 million bursary to needy students in Kwale 

Related News

Education Cabinet Secretary Julius Ogamba addresses the National Assembly as he responds to MPs’ concerns over school reporting times and learner safety.

Why learner safety must come before rigid school timetables as CS Ogamba answers Parliament

EditorAugust 20, 2026 0
Moi Girls High School Vokoli in Vihiga County, whose community is mourning the death of a Form Three student following a reported night attack at her family home in Kakamega County.

Tragedy hits Vokoli Girls as Form Three student dies in night attack

EditorAugust 20, 2026 0
Worshippers attend the ongoing Keragia SDA Camp Meeting as church leaders call for peace along the Kisii–Transmara border.

Church leaders call for ceasefire as tensions grip Kisii–Transmara border

EditorAugust 20, 2026 0

Maasai National Poly’s 1st Graduation Ceremony

Follow Us On Socials

  • 65.3K
    Followers
    65.3K
    Followers
  • 6.7K+
    Followers
    6.7K+
    Followers

Kipsoen National Poly’s 1st Graduation Ceremony

EDUCATION NEWS NEWSPAPER Vol. 298 (July 20 – August 10 Edition) Click Here To Buy

Latest news

  • Why learner safety must come before rigid school timetables as CS Ogamba answers Parliament August 20, 2026
  • Tragedy hits Vokoli Girls as Form Three student dies in night attack August 20, 2026
  • Church leaders call for ceasefire as tensions grip Kisii–Transmara border August 20, 2026
  • Court orders UoN To Pay Sh3 million to graduate over last-minute exclusion from graduation list August 20, 2026
Don`t copy text!
Click it!
Verified by MonsterInsights