Deputy President Kithure Kindiki has condemned violent protests witnessed across parts of the country over rising fuel prices and called for calm as the government seeks intervention measures.
The countrywide demonstrations, witnessed in several parts of the country, disrupted the transport sector and paralysed movement in a number of towns.
Prof. Kindiki appealed for calm, urging Kenyans to avoid destruction of property and acts of economic sabotage as the government engages stakeholders on measures to cushion wananchi from the escalating cost of petroleum products linked to the ongoing conflict involving Iran.
The Deputy President said President William Ruto, who is currently in Azerbaijan, had directed him, alongside Cabinet Secretaries John Mbadi (National Treasury), Davis Chirchir (Roads and Transport), Opiyo Wandayi (Energy and Petroleum), and Kipchumba Murkomen (Interior), to hold consultations with public transport operators, manufacturers, and other key players affected by the fuel crisis.
Countrywide protests on Monday disrupted public transport operations, with commuters stranded in major towns as matatu operators and other transport players protested against the rising cost of fuel.
Speaking during a consultative forum with grassroots leaders at his Irunduni rural home in Tharaka-Nithi County, Prof. Kindiki said the increase in fuel prices was a global challenge affecting many economies and should not be politicized.
“Through deliberate and innovative strategies, the Government under the leadership of President William Ruto had lowered the cost of fuel from Sh218 per litre to Sh171 per litre before the war situation erupted in Iran a few weeks ago,” he said.
The second-in-command defended the government’s interventions, saying measures already put in place had prevented fuel prices from rising further.
“If the government had not made the interventions, the price of fuel per litre would have shot to between Sh300 and Sh400. So far, we have reduced VAT on petroleum products from 16 percent to 8 percent. We have also injected substantial resources into the stabilisation fund,” he added.
Kindiki, however, warned politicians against exploiting public frustration for political gain through incitement.
“It is unpatriotic for anyone, in pursuit of political capital, to incite Kenyans to engage in acts of economic sabotage in the guise of pushing for lower fuel prices because demonstrations, violent protests, looting, and anarchy cannot resolve the fuel cost challenge,” he added.
READ ALSO: Kindiki: Youth empowerment key to national transformation
At the same time, he maintained that while Kenyans had a constitutional right to express dissatisfaction, the country could not afford instability and destruction of businesses at a time of economic strain.

“We cannot allow criminals to take our country hostage and sabotage the economy through violent protests, anarchy, and looting. Our country is superior to all other interests,” he said.
The Deputy President also announced that the National Infrastructure Fund currently holds Sh350 billion to finance water, energy, and infrastructure projects in arid and semi-arid regions beginning next year.
By John Majau
You can also follow our social media pages on Twitter: Education News KE and Facebook: Education News Newspaper for timely updates.
>>> Click here to stay up-to-date with trending regional stories
>>> Click here to read more informed opinions on the country’s education landscape
>>> Click here to stay ahead with the latest national news.





