Ol’lessos Poly indefinitely closed following unrest linked to TONPTA vetting results

Olessos Poly
Ol'lessos National Polytechnic main entrance/Photo Courtesy

Ol’lessos National Polytechnic will remain closed indefinitely following heightened tension and unrest witnessed on February 6, 2026, management has confirmed.

The tension is linked to the release of vetting results for the forthcoming Technical and Vocational Education and Training Personnel Association (TONPTA) council elections.

Addressing the press, Board of Governors Chair Margaret Kosgey said the institution had invited the Ministry of Education to carry out investigations into the unrest.

“We have invited the Ministry to conduct thorough investigations because we already have some information regarding what transpired,” Kosgey said.

She attributed the chaos to alleged incitement by certain individuals following the release of the TONPTA vetting results.

“The unrest was caused by two students who opted to incite their colleagues after failing their examinations,” she stated. “Additionally, three members of staff who had earlier been dismissed over misconduct also incited students and members of the community. These individuals have since sued the institution.” She added.

ALSO READ:

Of teachers who leave indelible marks long after exiting the classroom

Kosgey maintained that the board had recently taken decisive steps to address corruption at the institution.

“We found that corruption had reached alarming levels, and the board has taken firm measures to address it. Anyone found culpable after investigations are complete will face disciplinary action,” she warned.

Earlier, Senior Principal Wesley K. Yegon announced the immediate closure of the institution, citing persistent unrest that disrupted normal operations and traffic flow along the Nabkoi–Kapsabet Road.

According to a memo addressed to all staff and trainees, the disturbances followed alleged incitement after the announcement of the TONPTA vetting results, creating tension within and around the polytechnic.

“The Polytechnic has been closed indefinitely due to persistent unrest causing tension and disruption of traffic along Nabkoi–Kapsabet Road,” the memo stated. “The decision was made to safeguard the safety of staff, trainees, and institutional property.”

ALSO READ:

TVET Authority warns public over fake recruitment scam

All trainees were directed to vacate the institution and its environs by 9.00 a.m. on Tuesday, February 10, 2026.

The closure was communicated to key security and administrative authorities in Nandi County, including the County Commissioner, County Commander, Deputy County Commissioner (DCC) Nandi East, Officer Commanding Police Division (OCPD) Nandi East, and the Officer Commanding Station (OCS) Lessos.

No timeline has been given for the reopening of the institution, with management indicating that normal operations will resume once the situation stabilizes.

Despite the unrest, the TONPTA council elections proceeded as scheduled on February 11, 2026.

Sharing is Caring!

Leave a Reply

Don`t copy text!
Verified by MonsterInsights