Narok leaders intensify fight against drug abuse among learners

Education stakeholders in Narok County 1
Narok Central Deputy County Commissioner Kennedy Mwangome addresses students, parents and religious leaders at Narok Teachers Training College during a sensitisation forum on drug and substance abuse.

Calls for collaboration among parents, religious leaders and education stakeholders have intensified in Narok County as authorities step up efforts to combat rising cases of drug and alcohol abuse among learners.

Narok Central Deputy County Commissioner (DCC) Kennedy Mwangome urged parents not to abdicate their responsibility to guide and instil moral values in their children.

Speaking at Narok Teachers Training College during a sensitisation drive against drug and substance abuse for students, religious leaders and parents, Mr Mwangome said a coordinated, whole-of-government approach had been rolled out to curb the production, distribution and consumption of illicit substances, including bootleg liquor.

“This move follows a recent Presidential Proclamation on Alcohol and Drug Control, which calls for enhanced enforcement, prevention, rehabilitation and asset recovery through inter-agency collaboration and expanded operational capacity,” he said.

He regretted that drug abuse had devastated many families in the county, particularly affecting young people.

“This sensitisation drive is very important because drugs have destroyed many lives, especially among the youth. When students, parents and religious leaders are involved, the message reaches homes more effectively,” he added.

Mr Mwangome issued a stern warning to drug peddlers, terming them enemies of the country bent on ruining the future of young people.

“Alcohol and drug abuse is a silent but deadly crisis threatening our country’s health, security and economic future,” he said.

According to the National Authority for the Campaign Against Alcohol and Drug Abuse (NACADA), one in every six Kenyans aged between 15 and 65 — more than 4.7 million people — is currently using at least one drug or substance of abuse. Alcohol remains the most widely used substance, with more than 3.2 million current users. Initiation often occurs between the ages of 16 and 20, and in some cases as early as seven.

“This is no longer a marginal issue but a national emergency,” Mr Mwangome noted.

He said the government’s resolve was translating into coordinated, intelligence-led operations to dismantle drug networks, disrupt supply chains and deny criminal syndicates proceeds from illicit trade. He revealed that security officers had recently impounded a truck suspected of ferrying contraband alcohol into Narok Town.

The sensitisation programme, themed “Empowering communities for a brighter future,” is part of a broader strategy to strengthen community-based interventions to reduce drug use, particularly among youth.

Mr Mwangome assured parents that national government administration officers in the county were vigilant.

“As a government, we are obligated to protect our boys and girls from criminals who want to destroy a generation. We will not allow anyone to lure Kenyan children into drugs and alcohol,” he said.

READ ALSO:

Understanding the Biblical significance of Ash Wednesday to the Catholic faithful

He urged students to prioritise their education as the surest path to success and advised them to surround themselves with positive influences.

“Avoid social media lifestyles that glamorise drug use. Focus on your studies and your future,” he counselled.

Students struggling with addiction, he added, should seek guidance and counselling services or rehabilitation support rather than suffer in silence.

Mr Mwangome emphasised the critical role of religious leaders in shaping moral values and influencing behaviour within communities.

“Religious leaders need to be incorporated in these initiatives and are a vital link in the fight against drugs because of their regular engagement with households and young people. They are trusted voices who can guide, counsel and support those at risk,” he said.

He also urged residents to remain vigilant and report illegal alcohol trade to the relevant authorities.

Narok DCC John Gathogo said the County Commissioner’s office was actively conducting sensitisation campaigns targeting students in universities, colleges and schools to curb rising substance abuse.

“We are rolling out awareness workshops, research-based initiatives and collaborative partnerships, with a recent focus on the high rates of addiction among university students,” Mr Gathogo said.

He reiterated that sustained cooperation between government agencies, parents, educators and faith-based organisations would be key to winning the fight against drug and alcohol abuse among learners in the county.

By Kimutai Langat

You can also follow our social media pages on Twitter: Education News KE  and Facebook: Education News Newspaper for timely updates.

>>> Click here to stay up-to-date with trending regional stories

 >>> Click here to read more informed opinions on the country’s education landscape

>>> Click here to stay ahead with the latest national news.

Sharing is Caring!

Leave a Reply

Don`t copy text!
Verified by MonsterInsights