Activist Boniface Mwangi has marked the 11th anniversary of the Occupy Lang’ata Road Primary School protest, recalling the events of January 19, 2015, when pupils, parents, and activists opposed the alleged grabbing of the school’s playground.
In a statement commemorating the milestone, Mwangi said the protest saw schoolchildren as young as six years old confront what he described as a powerful land grabber and ultimately succeed in reclaiming their playground.
The demonstration, which took place at Lang’ata Road Primary School, in Nairobi County, drew national and international attention after police officers lobbed tear gas at pupils during the standoff.
According to Mwangi, the children initially believed the officers, who were accompanied by dogs, had been deployed to protect them as they sought to reclaim their school land.
Despite being tear-gassed and ordered back to class, the pupils reportedly regrouped alongside their parents, teachers, and members of the community. The protesters later pulled down a wall that had been erected on the disputed playground.
Mwangi said the incident sparked broader public debate about land grabbing and school property rights in Kenya.
He noted that the protest inspired other schools across the country to push for the protection of their land and contributed to a directive requiring schools to be issued with title deeds.
The occupy Lang’ata protest remains one of the most cited examples of civic action led by students and community members in the country ’s recent history.
By Our Reporter
You can also follow our social media pages on Twitter: Education News KE and Facebook: Education News Newspaper for timely updates.
>>> Click here to stay up-to-date with trending regional stories
>>> Click here to read more informed opinions on the country’s education landscape
>>> Click here to stay ahead with the latest national news.





