By Joseph Mambili
A boys’ school in Nakuru County converted to a girls-only institution leaving the male students who had reported for Term One shocked.
About 60 students of St Georges Greenland Senior Boys had to look for the alternatives after the school’s management decided to covert the school allegedly without informing them.
The school’s proprietor George Gichimo claimed that the boys had become unruly and indisciplined leading to students’ unrest last year.
The school, however, failed to communicate the decision to parents and now the parents have sought the intervention of actingEducation Cabinet Secretary Dr Fred Matiang’i.
Sixteen students who were to proceed to Form Four this year are among those affected, forcing them to find new schools to register for KCSE this year.
Some students said that they are encountering challenges as schools are turning them away.
One of the students said: “We have been looking for schools that can integrate us but no one wants a new Form Four student in their school.”
Another student said there had been only one case of unrest in 2017 when students protested over a meal that was allegedly not properly prepared.
One of the parents said that she admitted her boy in 2016 and everything was okay until this year when they were turned away.
“I took the student to the school in 2016 when he joined Form One and everything was running smoothly until three days ago when I was turned away after taking my son for a new term. She said no meeting was held to inform the parents on the plans to close down the school,” said Judith Musimbi, a parent.
“On January 5, I deposited Sh15, 000 and took my son to school and found the principal who informed me that the owner of the school had decided that the school should be shut down,” said Musimbi.
“The boys have put the rest of the students at risk. We want to work hard to bring more girls to the school and make it a girls’ only school,” said Gichomo.
Gichimo added that already parents who had deposited the fees in school accounts had been refunded the money.
The county education office has dispatched a team to ascertain the claims after receiving complaints.
County Director for Education, Isaac Nyang’au said: “A team is already handling the matter but I ask parents who have encountered incidents to report to the education offices,” he said.